DIR: a personal dilemma

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AADIVER on January 05, 2001 at 12:14:33:

Based on what I now understand about DOING IT RIGHT, it's an all or nothing at all application to scuba diving regardless the depth or diving conditions. If that's accurate, here's my personal dilemma:
If I totally accept the principles and practices of DIR I must do two things: 1. Purchase the gear. Based on Halcyon's MSRP, the cost would be around $1,600.00, including regs and hoses. 2. Get trimix certified, another $400.00 So now for two grand, or a few hundred less if I can get a "deal", I'm ready to DIR dive. But that requires a third mandate: find and dive with a buddy who possesses the exact DIR gear and configuration as mine, be experienced, and be willing to dive the exact same profiles as mine, i.e., grub on wrecks for collectable artifacts. Not bloody likely, so my diving would be severely limited. Perhaps at some future date when DIR diving becomes ubiquitous, world-wide, this dilemma would diminish. But at this point in time I'm a 68 year old independent wreck-aholic, rather set in his ways, and unwilling to garage sale my admittedly cluttered gear configuration. My only hope to take advantage of DIR is when and if it's principles and procedures are modified and integrated into "average" recreational sport diving. Until then, buddy up with me at your own peril!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]