Re: A case where solo diving is safer: 2 on a boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on February 08, 2001 at 11:21:21:

In Reply to: A case where solo diving is safer: 2 on a boat posted by Chris on February 08, 2001 at 10:37:09:

Dear Chris:

I disagree with position and I'll like to tell you why.

This is not an attempt to argue, but hopefully to discuss. So please, no flames from anyone. I just don't play that game, period.

You state that you always leave one diver on the boat, in case someone needs a pick-up. That is very logical and a very safe way to do it. And So Cal is known for currents. I always recommend one person staying behind on my boat for that reason and a whole variety of others. Which is why we always go out with a minimum of three divers.

But using your own logic, that circumstances can change and things can happen that can endanger ourselves while we are in the water ( like getting caught in a current ), and that the only way to SURVIVE is to have someone assist you ( like your boat tender ), then why would you dive alone ?

If you accept that a current can appear unexpectedly, and I have experienced this big time at Farnsworth and San Miguel way offshore, who is gonna assist you when you have an emergency underwater.

Out of air happens, but it shouldn't - but it does.
Panic happens, but it shouldn't - but it does.
Equipment failing at the worst possible time happens, but it shouldn't - but it does.
Medical problems, disorientation, drunk boaters ( and jet-skiers ) etc. etc. etc.

I was always taught never swim alone, never hike alone, never boat alone, why would I dive alone ??

You mention you discuss "this a length as part of our dive planning and contingency planing " It sounds to me like you are an intelligent and experienced diver, why not discuss buddy diving procedures as well ?

Kevin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]