Re: We Need to Grow Up

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on February 09, 2001 at 16:17:22:

In Reply to: Re: We Need to Grow Up posted by Jim Hoffmann on February 08, 2001 at 09:58:16:

I applaud Jim's comments and actually share his views, as do - I'm convinced - many of the
people who post here, even those who vehemently disagree with each other.

Jim says, "The goal of every diver should be to dive as safely as possible," and I agree
wholeheartedly. The problem is defining "as safely as possible". What may seem safe to
me may seem reckless to you. And therein lies the rub.

Where do you draw the line? (And perhaps even more importantly, who draws the line for
you?)

We've talked a lot (WAY too much some would say) about solo diving. But what about
depths in excess of 130'? What about deco diving (at any depth)? What about cave diving,
wreck penetration, ice diving? In my opinion (and for me personally), those activities
present a far greater relative risk and I choose not to do them. But I fully understand that
there are others who feel the risk is acceptable, and perhaps even manageable, and choose
to pursue those activities.

We DO need to be as safe as possible within the style of diving we choose do. As Jim
pointed out, even recreational diving (air, no-deco, 130' or less, diving with a buddy) in
and of itself presents risk. And ANYTHING outside the definition of standard recreational
diving presents ADDITIONAL risk. It's important to manage that risk responsibility and
within the bounds of your own personal limits and abilities.

Not to do so invites tragic consequences.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]