Re: 1st Dry suit dive

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Walker on February 19, 2001 at 10:58:35:

In Reply to: Re: 1st Dry suit dive posted by randy54 on February 18, 2001 at 18:54:36:

Ankle weights slow your kick down. They also require extra energy from the divers.

Gators do a couple of neat things for dry suit users. Gators are nylon and velcro wraps that go around your calf, slighly squeezing the suit around your calf.

1) they keep gas from accumulating in the calf are which keep your feet from floating and blowing up like a ballons, which can result in your fins popping off.
2) they streamline the calf area which needs to smoothly cut through the water when you kick your flippers.

I am on my fourth drysuit. I have used nylon shells, compressed neopreme, and what ever Viking uses (inflatable baot material). I used ankle weights for years and started using gator wraps two years ago. I would never use ankle weight again. And for cavers and wreckers, its the only way to go when using a modified flutter kick.

Halcyon is the only company I know of that makes them. If you get a pair, get one size smaller than you think you would need. They come in sm, med, lrg and I think extra large.

Scuba Toys had several in stock the last time I was in there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]