Slight Disagreement...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mattschechter on April 23, 2001 at 17:05:26:

In Reply to: Re: Kinderscuba posted by MHK on April 23, 2001 at 14:49:35:

I would disagree with you on two things. First is the "agency vs. instructor" thing. Yes, in the instances you spoke of it does matter. PADI is truly not fit to teach tec and deep air is an obvious crock. That said, it really doesn't matter the agency for beginning certifications. That line is almost always given to beginners and I believe it rings true. The course material is almost identical. There are some standards differences but nothing huge. The other point I dispute is that a PADI cardholder (esp. a beginning cert) is a PADI defender. Not at all. I am shamed to say that I have a PADI OW and from Sport Chalet at that (oh my god I am definitely going to SCUBA hell for that). I don't defend PADI and I don't defend SC but I still have the card. When you’re a beginner you don't realize the differences. It seems like SCUBA is SCUBA and for the most part it is. It is when you get to the higher levels that PADI really breaks down.
-matt

PS: I am currently doing penance for my past sins by working at Scuba Toys, very, very cool.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]