Deep air and the helium effect

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on May 06, 2001 at 09:38:22:

I'm at the chamber this weekend and fortunately we aren't busy ;-), but it has given me an opportunity to catch up on some reading. Further to Scubabum's post of the other day respecting divers learning from the mistakes of other's I wanted to quote something from a book I'm reading.. It reads as follows:

" I have a queer feeling of beautitude. I am drunk and carefree. My ears buzz and my mouth tastes bitter. The current staggers me as though I had too many drinks...We called this l'ivresse des grandes profindeurs ( rapture, or intoxication, of the depths)..

And here is the kicker...

The U.S. Navy test dives have shown that the strange joy does NOT occur to deep divers in whose air supply nitrogen has been supplanted by Helium.."

The author of this was Jacques Coustea talking about a dive in excess of 100' and it was written circa 1942, but yet some 60 years later we are still seeing the deep air proponents defending this practice..

Hopefully, some will pay attention to something that has been around for generations.. If you don't like listening to me or Walker maybe you'll listen to Coustea...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]