Another Fatality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on May 08, 2001 at 17:22:48:

Its been a real bad year.

I lost two divers that I knew. That has hit me real hard.

The additional deaths of divers that I did not personally know has also affected me greatly.

It has reminded me of all the divers that I buried in the past. Funerals that I have tried to forget about, crying children wondering
where their fatehr was.

I just got off the phone with someone who updated me on the Farnsworth tragedy. Most of what has been posted is incorrect, reckless speculation by many. This is something that should stop. Hopefully in the next few days people who have first hand knowledge will be able give a complete report.

To end the day I just received an e-mail that Steve Berman, a very respected cave diver and cave instructor ( and training committee member ) died at Ginnie. The rescue team located Steve at 3200' mark on main line past the Hinkel at Ginnie. Steve had no air in his tanks and his safety bottle at the 1900' mark.

He was diving alone. I add this information not to fuel the flame war garding solo diving. ( I think I created enough conflict by simply getting theword out on the upcoming USS Moody trip.)

But I point this out because he died alone with his cylinder dry.

This is a loss to all of us.

Kevin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]