Re: Steve and Seahunt I've consolidated my response

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on July 20, 2001 at 11:02:38:

In Reply to: Re: Steve and Seahunt I've consolidated my response posted by Steve on July 20, 2001 at 10:52:39:

I think you just proved my point..

Given your belief about diver's not being in a position to compute certain things then I would have to ask teh following..

If they aren't in a position to do it without a computer then how did they get out of the class????

O2 clocks don't need to be computed during each dive and they are so RIDICULOUSLY unreliable so as to be nearly rendered worthless..

NOAA recommends 45 minutes at 1.6.. George and JJ do 8 hours without incident.. That is my point about blind reliance on a device..

Ask yourself the following questions..

1) Computers are often cited as a way to increase bottom times, but based on the above example I just gave you, your computer would have you out of the water 8 hours earlier than need be...

2) The algorithms penalize you for deep stops and are so conservative that they will actually require you to get out of the water sooner than you really need to.. In other words, they cost $400+ and provide the exact opposite of it's stated purpose..

Can I ask you this question.. You said the computer is a good learning device, can you please describe what you can learn from a computer????

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]