Not me...Still none...

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by rm on January 14, 2003 at 20:18:47:

In Reply to: I think I miss lead you. posted by Captain Tim on January 14, 2003 at 18:39:07:

I once stopped a couple from diving one of the oil rigs because both of them could not recall the last time they had dived beyond 40 FSW in water colder than 70deg F. They also had no logbooks and no Advance cards. The rig dive had a requirement of an advance C Card. When I continued to talk to them they stated that the last dive they did was in Grand Caymen to 90FSW about 6 months ago. I felt good in making the decision to disallow them to dive, however, I did need the captains support.

When I was doing my dive on the rig they both complained to the captain that I would not allow them to dive. After returning from the dive the captain asked me if I was sure about my decision. After I explained to him my reasoning he did agree with the call. Then like a fool I opened my mouth and said ?The only way I would let them dive is if one if the instructors or Dm?s aboard would go with them? And the captain said to me, ?Want to get in another dive??

After the 15min bottom time with a max depth of 55FSW and my hands loosing the feeling from the constant squeezing by my guests, I was confident that the original assessment was correct. Both divers came back with a little less than 400psi.

All said and done, the divers were very happy and all was safe. The primary goal was achieved. In the end it was the captain who gave me the authority to make the decision while maintaining the responsibility himself.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]