Re: Reading the Post and DIR

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on October 28, 2003 at 17:44:29:

In Reply to: Re: Reading the Post and DIR posted by Elaine on October 28, 2003 at 16:21:09:

Without meaning to fan the flames here . . .

Elaine wrote: "DIR is earning a bad reputation because some of its devotees believe that the "DIR way" involves attacking others."

I don't know that I'd quite say it that way. Seems to me that DIR arose from George Irvine, JJ, and a team of very experienced and very-qualified divers. These very talented divers devised a "system" that they were comfortable with and which worked well for their specific environment (WKPP project).

Then others started getting involved and adopted the DIR philosophy (a lot of which I personally happen to agree with) and the DIR configuration (a lot of which I happen NOt to agree with).

Then a third layer got involved which seemed to be various wannabes, many of whom seem (to me) to represent many (but not all) of the current crop of those who most loudly proclaim DIR to be manna from heaven.

This is where the thing turns a bit.

My undersdtanding is that part of the mandate from george was, "If you're gonna hang around the WKPP, you've got to adopt our gear config." No biggee. But what started as good divers using a specific gear config, now became divers who may not have been quite as skilled adopting this gear config, and assuming that because they were diving in the same gear as the other guys, they were just as good divers too.

That then seemed to transmorgify into, "We're diving this gear, which means we're not only better divers than you, but we're better people than you too." THAT then seemed to mutate into "We're better than you, we know more than you, and you should just shut up since you're a moron."

Now, to be clear, I'm not saying all DIR proponents have been this way. But a copuple (not just Michael) have become VERY vocal about DIR (on some national boards) and simply can't seem to resist making it personal when someone dares to disagree with them.

Ironically, the one time I had a lengthy discussion with JJ about all this, he was much more nonchalant than the evnagleists are. His attitude was basically, "Well, maybe you don't agree with everything but maybe you can walk away with some things that will help make you a better diver." Nothing wrong with that and certainly 180º from the pitch you're most used to seeing.

So, personally, I don't know that I'd say that the "DIR way" involves attacking other people. However, I'd say that some of the most vocal evangelists for DIR have a personal style that includes derision and attack and, since they're the most visible proponents, and since the DIR/GUE leadership does nothing to disassociate themselves from these guys, there's a percetion that that's what DIR is all about.

Too bad. The underlying philosophy (team diving, training, be ready, improve yourself) is very sound. Not realy revolutionary since it's basically a rehash of a ,lot of ideas we stressed more fully in the 70s and 80s, but sound nonetheless. But the way that philosophy is implemented is, IMHO, sometimes very disconcerting.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]