Re: 40% off Scubapro

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Hoffmann on March 03, 2004 at 09:44:36:

In Reply to: Re: 40% off Scubapro posted by Captain Tim on March 02, 2004 at 18:02:15:

Tim you will have to excuse me for being a little cynical about this whole thing(after 24 years of owning a dive shop I have been stabbed in the back enough (by other stores, dive instructors, certifying agencies, and by the manufactures) to question what there real intentions are, for the most part it all comes down to money and they don’t care who they screw over to get it ).
I talked to Billy and he told me he was trying to do a good thing. I have no reason to doubt this. I also talked to Scubapro, and they said the same thing (I was not the first to talk to Scubapro, by the way, there had been many before me).
I have no problem with giving the Aquarium dive volunteers a reward for there service. I know many volunteers that work there, and they volunteered of there own free will, and they seek no rewards for there service, other then the satisfaction of there job (I think that this is what volunteerism is all about).
I think that if we are going to give rewards it should be a year around thing not this one shot deal (how about a free boat trip to islands, Tim). I also think that all the local shops should be involved. It also should be set-up by the Aquarium’s dive officer, and volunteer coordinator, not by Ken.
I make a living selling diving equipment, and this sale will impact me and the other local stores. So again, you will have to excuse me for my cynicism about everyones intentions here. If you look at the numbers Reef Seekers and the manufactures stand to make a lot of money with this sale. Reef Seekers will make 10% or more on the products they sell and a couple of points in there buying program, and of course the sales reps.( from the different companies) will all get there money(stabbed in the back again). If this sale makes a $100,000 dollar (which is possible, with 150 divers buying for themselves and friends, and family) Reef Seeker could net $10,000 dollars or more and the manufactures $90,000 not bad for 4 hours work in the middle of winter.
I have to take my hat off to Billy and Ken this is a great scam (I wish I had thought it up).
The manufactures have stabbed us all in the back again(that's nothing new). The Aquarium dive volunteers, friends, and family get new gear. It's a win win for everyone but the LDS we get screw over once again(nothing new there either).

Jim Hoffmann
Scuba Toys and Schools Inc.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]