Re: I was curious.

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on June 12, 2004 at 12:36:07:

In Reply to: Re: I was curious. posted by Sonke on June 12, 2004 at 10:13:02:

i don't know how you are going to win the hearts and pocketbooks of the non-anglers without placing further restrictions on those are actually killing the wildlife in OUR waters.

The predominant mentality of the recreational angler is one of an entitlement to kill which is anathema to those of us view OUR waters as a beautiful wilderness. Thankfully, more and more people are starting to realize the historical damage that has been done to the resident populations by years of such statutory entitlement.

If the DFG starts charging the non-consumptive enthusiast, it will be seen as a means of supplementing those who's purpose is to kill the inhabitants of OUR wilderness. I for one, will not financially support the facilitators of the kill unless or until they put an end to the free-for-all.

The DFG needs to make a list of species that are NOT for take. sunfish, opah, the 5 common species of swrf (B&Y, kelp, grass, tree,olive), etc. The wsb limit needs to be reduced to one a day, yellowtail limit should be 5, calico bass should be 5, the sandbass spawning grounds should be off-limits during the spawn (duh!?). The DFG needs to do whatever they can to increase the appreciation and perceived value of the life in the water, rather than promote the value of the kill...

Please copy and circulate the following statement for future reference:

If the DFG ever proposes allowing the take of BSB, i pledge to make their defense my sole purpose in life. i will write every entity and concerned party on both continents. I will overtly vilify the DFG in print and word, i will solicit many other people who feel the way i do to join the cause. i will turn that decision into the single worst PR situation the DFG has ever had to deal with. I am a decent, law abiding man and everything i do to protect the giants will be absolutely aboveboard, that i assure you. I also assure you that i will be creative and i will be relentless. When all is said and done, it will have been nothing but very costly misadventure in terms of PR and monies spent by the DFG.

At a time when the rest of the world is loosing their groupers, OUR giants stand as a model of good management. One that should be exploited by the DFG rather than used to satiate the sadistic need to kill something magnificent. The mere presence of the giants brings honor to all of us who ply these waters!

On the other hand if you need an ally in the continued defence of those wonderful fish, please count on my wholehearted participation!

(sorry mike, but we disagree on this one)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]