diver.net

Re: The regs don't say "a reasonable distance"

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by lobsterdon on July 19, 2005 at 10:30:25:

In Reply to: The regs don't say "a reasonable distance" posted by Chuck Tribolet on July 18, 2005 at 23:17:41:

The only thing that is clear in this reg is that it is illegal to have your dive flag up if you aren't diving. How many of us take their flag down immediately after diving? The law is totally useless for divers. The best we can do is still fly our flags in the hope that most boaters will respect them and learn good navigation skills so you can go down and come up via your anchor line. Also listen and stay down if you hear a boat. When surfacing, stick your pole spear up first if you have one. Free divers are very hard to see and they stray away from their boat on the surface. They should tow a float with a dive flag on it. I came very close to a free diver the other day because he was over 1000 ft from his boat and was not towing a dive flag. I noticed his head in the water and at first I thought is was a sea lion.

Our law should be more like Florida which nequires a dive flag and requires boaters to stay away. With the over abundance of regs in California, it escapes me why our dive flag law is so lame.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to