diver.net

Ear problem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kio on November 24, 2005 at 10:34:08:

I had a minor bleeding of ear (outer ear) last time I dove. It was the same right ear I had a problem several years ago. At that time, I was in Japan and I had to delay coming back to the US as suggested by the physician.

So, I am trying to take it easy although my mind does not just stay still...(I got a wetsuit/belt/hood, etc for free dive about a week ago)

I went through various web sites to figure out what I should do. It appears that my symptom is tied to clearing/equalization problem.

If there is anyone who can offer any suggestion, I would appreciate it very much....

***FYI, Here are few sites I found usuful:
ear wax, with crosssection of ear picture:
http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/hearing/wax2.html

"How can one keep wax from blocking the ear ? There are several methods. "

One method is to put baby oil or olive oil into the ear on a regular basis. Put in the drops, let it sit in there for a few minutes, then lie down on a towel to let it drip out again. Probably only a few drops every week in each ear is good enough (nobody has done a research study on this). It doesn't hurt to put a few drops of clean olive oil or baby oil into each ear every day.

Swimmers often do this prior to their daily swim. However, be sure that the oil is clean, as you don't want to introduce bacteria. This should not be done if you have an eardrum perforation or if you don't know whether or not you have a perforation.

****use manuka oil - as an idea!!! (I got the oil in New Zealand)*****
Manuka oil is analgesic, anti-allergic, anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-histamine, anti- infectious, antiseptic, decongestant, insecticide and highly bactericidal across a wide spectrum.

As an antiseptic for use on the skin, manuka can be applied to cuts, spots, boils, ulcers, etc. It is especially indicated where healing has been slow.Manuka has a drying effect, that is taken advantage of in the treatment for acne and for oily conditions of the skin.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=21

remember to clear before you get into the water. This helps you to make sure you don't have a problem that could be corrected at the surface before you dive, such as taking a drink of water to keep your mouth moist. You may need to simply add something new to your current clearing technique, such as clearing as often as every 1 to 2 feet/0.3 to 0.6 meters in order to prevent further injury. Make sure that when clearing you do it gently and before the problem becomes severe. Waiting too long will cause unnecessary pain, and a forceful clearing attempt by pinching your nose at that time may cause middle ear damage. Several gentle maneuvers and switching back and forth between swallowing and pinching your nose and gently blowing may be the ticket to a trouble-free dive. Above all, if you cannot equalize, then abort the dive.

Ear problem:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=45

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to