diver.net

My two cents worth from my recent experience

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on November 24, 2005 at 11:25:05:

In Reply to: Ear problem posted by Kio on November 24, 2005 at 10:34:08:

Give it some time to heal. Take decongestants while it is getting better to help keep the swelling down. I like a RX only one "Entex LA" as it doesn't cause drowsiness, is a little more gentle than sudaphed, and for me dives really good.

If you think that mild seasonal allergies might be part of the problem - I get some "Santa Ana Congestion" - get some steroidal based nasal spray like flonase - really helps to keep my ear equalization system open.

In my case, I was too heavy on the ear drops of all varying descriptions and I was probably causing more irritation as it was trying to heal up. My doc recomended a vinegar solution as the first line of defense between dives. If you ever acidentally get an ear drum preforation and don't realize it, the vinegar solution that might get into your middle ear will cause the least damage. I have a friend who used some alchol based ear drops when he had a small undetected perforation and it caused some permanent hearing loss when it got to his middle ear.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to