diver.net

Re: PADI QA is an oxymoron

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dahlia on October 24, 2006 at 18:39:52:

In Reply to: PADI QA is an oxymoron posted by Chris on October 24, 2006 at 13:06:42:

Hey Chris, how are you and long time.....:)

By the way, I signed up for the Seadivers upcoming trip on the Peace, 2-3 Dec.

The truth is that teaching has put a serious dent in my diving and I aim to make up for it.

I recall that you have always advocated that quality of Instruction depends on the Instructor alone and not the Cert Agency. I trust that you still feel that way but I also understand your frustration.

There is a major difference between exceeding the Standards and allocating sufficient amount of time for training. If I were to ask the students to do skills no longer required and taught, I would be disciplined by Padi, if a student logged a complaint. However, I am known for having students do skills over and over again till I am satisfied that they have mastered the skills in question and would be able to fall back on their training in a time of need. This is no doubt time consuming, but the time consumed is mainly mine and no student has ever complained that I have taken too long. I think this is the reason why I have had no incidents in my entire 8 year career of teaching.
In the last 2 years I have worked closely with an SSI store and their curriculum is almost identical as Padi's. On one occasion I shared a pool session with an SSI Instructor and he was finished with 2 students in one!!!! hours and that was their first pool session. No one is THAT good.

I realize as well, that in order to attract more people to the sport and make it accessible, the standards had to be lowered, but I think all Cert Agencies share a joint guilt, not just Padi. As it seems, there are more divers and less incidents, even though 2006 was not a good year for California.

A while ago I sent you an e mail regarding advertising my website here, I suspect you have not received it. Please advise.

Happy Bubbles

Dahlia
Los Angeles Travel
and Scuba Center
818-715-9158

www.upperclassscuba.com

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL: