diver.net

Re: LA dive shops not filling tanks made of 6531 Aluminum alloy. Questions

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jh on January 19, 2007 at 14:22:18:

In Reply to: LA dive shops not filling tanks made of 6531 Aluminum alloy. Questions posted by Andy S on January 19, 2007 at 12:20:03:

Andy most shops and boats that I know of in socal have stopped filling the pre-1988 luxfer cylinders. Most of this has to do with the new DOT regs. To do a VIP on these tanks now, you have to buy another very expensive machine (which you will never get your money back, just like the $1500.00 eddy wave machine that most of us were fools to buy 10 years ago). A question for you, why should a shop send the money to buy another machine to VIP some very old cylinders, cylinders that Luxfer had a semi-recall on, cylinders that have cracked, and ruptured? Given the history of these tanks, it doesn't make any sense to continue to fill them.
Here's what I did with the 35 tanks I had at the store, I let the air out, took the values out, pop off the boot, and I took them all to nearest recycling yard, they were paying .40 a pound.
Or you can go buy a compressor (one of the smaller ones that would work on your boat cost about $3000.00+(they take about 30 minutes to fill an al78), a bigger one like the last one I bought for the store was about$15,000, another $4000.00 for a booster, another $3500 for fill station and filters and another $2500 for fill bottles.
I think it's cheaper to go and buy some new steel tanks.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to