x-rays, film, customs forms

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger on April 08, 2007 at 23:38:33:

In Reply to: Camera Restrictions in Mexico? posted by Elaine on April 08, 2007 at 17:51:13:

Good page from stephen frink on film in x-rays. Basically, the carry-on luggage x-rays are fine, but the checked baggage x-rays get worse and worse:


I used to carry my film in a tupperware container, all open, no film cannisters, with a couple sample rolls of high ASA film. You always have the right to ask for hand inspection, at least in the US, but having the high ASA helps. And TSA rules are us only. I used to do well by being in happy chatty traveller mode. They'd do a quick wipe. of the film roll tops, it was quick.

TSA on film:


now for customs forms: the easy one does you almost no good. The easy one, the 4457, is to prove you bought the cameras in the US so on your way back in, it proves you bought the cameras here and you don't pay tax on them. It's like carrying your original receipts.


It's basically a form only for US officials. It doesn't help you in the other country at all.

The real form you need is a state department deal that tells the other country to stuff it. It's harder to get, costs a couple hundred, and has a french legal name that I can't remember right now. I looked into it once and gave up on it as too much trouble.

Follow Ups:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to
help prevent spam bots
from flooding this BBS.
Text Key: