diver.net

Support your local dive shop???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on August 28, 2008 at 20:36:24:

OK, So, a few weeks back I broke the face plate on my scubapro regulator. I took the reg down to my LDS figuring they would have or could get a new part.
That reg was no longer made so scubapro was going to upgrade me to a new style crossover reg but since I missed two services in 10 years they decided not to. However scubapro did have a cover that would fit, but it was on back order till September 25th.
All this is being worked through my LDS. Scubapro sends them the purge button for this new cover that will work, but the main part, the one I need, is on back order.
Meanwhile, several of my friends right here on diver.net read the initial post and came to my recue with all kinds of covers, bless you guys, drinks for everyone, how about boat dives for everyone! Problem solved.
I call my LDS and fll them in that I no longer need the cover, cancel the order.
There's a lot of throat clearing and himming and hawing. I explain I am on my way down to get my reg, have it ready.
I get there and before they will give it back they are going to make me pay a fee of 7.50 for legwork on trying to get this cover for me (basically nothing). They never provided a part, they had nothing in the bone yard, they never offered a loaner, nothing.
Is this standard proceedure in the dive shop business?. The money's not a big deal, it's the principle. I get the whole run around, gas, time, and they sit in the shop and make a few phone calls.
I run a business too. I have to go out and write estimates, take care of warrantee work and several other responsibilities that don't make me money. I am also doing the backplate thing and have loaners out while people are waiting for stuff, etc. That is part of the job and the time spent is way more than they put into doing this for me.

Is this right?

I think I will run out my fill card and say "see ya".

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to