diver.net

I love clearly stating facts and truth in advertising

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wet One on June 22, 2009 at 20:39:59:

In Reply to: Re: Who's charging $120 for a Cat trip? - Me, sort of posted by Ken Kurtis on June 22, 2009 at 15:47:35:

Yes, I did state prior that some dive shops charge $140 for a Catalina Day trip, and you kindly made me aware of the fact:
That for your firms' dive trips, on a Catalina trip, that after applying the early buyer discount... and an "Reef Saver Card" that after all the discounts it around $126.

I suppose those "cards" are free? Right?

I'm sure that when you were correcting me, that you included in your $126 fact check you included the average cost per trip to the diver for that card, right?

And I suppose someone paying a week prior for a trip,, paying say $155 allthough they are not paying $140,, which they could have... they will have some comfort knowing that someone
else got a better price for having better planning skills.

I guess you are again correct, that your internet posted Trip Sked list, say for example the price for the 8/8 Cee Ray.. Olympic / Cat $140/155, is not $140.. but is in reality $139.50 after taking the Early Registration discount.

Oh mman...my bad again.

That $0.50 error in my statement was a pretty severe and blantant and misleading error of the facts on my part.
(Feel free to read the above outloud with a tone of scarcasm.)

That $50 "Reef Saver Card" is an excellent idea! Kudos for you in that excellent perceived value marketing scheme.
It ranks right up there with extended warantees on consumer electronics, or the Scotchguard coating on sofas, or the undercoat that slick markerters try to "add on" to their sales. Or the extra charges that airlines now charge.. a ticket price, a checked bag charge, food charge..

Oh yea.. and TRIPLE Kudos for charging an extra $10 to reserve a stateroom on the boats that have them.
That is so cool...
I doubt the boat charges you extra, but you charge your customers.. Way to go dude!

And since you seem to be into clearly stating the facts on this forum for your customers, I see on your website you advertise your boat trips as making 4 dives.

Your website say: "We generally try to offer 4 dives on all trips, but sometimes, due to various circumstances, we may only be able to offer 3."

That is again excellent "slick" salesmanship. Now.. we know full well that "on average" and not due to any "circumstances"
that all single day boat trips in general only make 3 full length dives. I'm talking about three leisurly paced, unhurried types of dives, with ample time to warm up between dives, or have a snack during a decent surface interval.

I suppose technically you are indeed correct in advertising 4 dives... if you consider a diver making two short lenght, quick succession back to back dives at the last spot of the day is a total of 4 dives. That would be true.

So.. sometimes I guess you get in 4 dives.. on those sometimes prices $126 dive trips. Sometimes.

Heres a good idea for you: Perhaps you might want to consider marketing your trips as "8 possible dives".

Here's how it would happen: A diver makes their 1st dive of the day. During that first dive, they surface to see where the boat is, so they can continue the dive back towards the boat underwater.
The descend.. and now they are now on dive number 2.
Repeat the pattern for the 3-4 dives, and by the end of the day the diver's computer might just actually have log entries for 6-8 dives! Whoo hoo!
They just got in 8 dives!

This thread is so funny... :) (sick Troll sense of humor here)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to