diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wetsuits

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tao on October 18, 2009 at 14:33:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Wetsuits posted by firewalker on October 18, 2009 at 13:50:42:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can gather about Xcel suits, the only place they use Yamamoto neoprene is in some of their one piece with attached hood dive suits and that's only in the torso area; I think these suits are marketed under the SCS line. The rest of it is someone elses neoprene.

Xcel does makes decent wetsuits; I have a one piece 6/7/8 suit with attached hood that's a few years old but it's no longer my SCUBA suit. I started to get *really* cold under that suit after a few years of use and my teeth would literally chatter and I would just be uncomfortable underwater. In January of this year, I got a custom suit made for me by Don at M&B and he uses Yamamoto neoprene. I don't know if he uses any other makes of neoprene, but there was a time when he was making suits from Rubitex before some environmental regulations changed that.

My suit is a 2-piece farmer john with a beaver tail top using 9-mm Yamamoto and I love that suit. Keeps me comfortable and I've taken it down to 100-ft. When diving at around 50-ft, I've had bottom times of at least 65-minutes because I'm so comfortable. Granted it's a totally different suit and in newer condition than the Xcel, but I will say that it's among the best places I've spent my money on dive gear.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to