diver.net

What lights are you guys using for bug diving?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Sedletzky on May 10, 2012 at 16:02:40:

I know that light technology is rapidly changing, almost weekly it seems with the new LED technology out there.
I'm looking for a light that is hand held that can be clipped off on a D-ring with the light head bungeed to my shoulder strap for stowage. It needs to be bright enough that it can be used as a primary while night diving, and has enough spill so it's not too pin pointed of a beam that the light is too concentrated in one spot. I need it to have enough of a flood that I can get some periferal illumination for night orientation.
I'm not interested in can lights.

I'm looking for something under $200.00 since lights can get trashed, they are a consumable item to me.
I dive up here on the North Coast mostly and I need it for looking into holes and cracks and of course night diving. The

reason I mentioned bug diving is because you guys seem to be on the same page as far as criteria and you go for all the same characteristics I'm looking for. Plus I get down there periodically to bug dive myself.

I've looked at things like Princeton tech's pistol grip 8 C cell LED light with 400 lumens for around $140.00 but I'm not sure if a heavy pistol grip is the way to go.
I would think with the new technology I could get a compact back up style light that would blow away what was considered a decent full size primary light years ago.

So what's the scoop?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.