Re: Why DIR?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy54 on January 07, 2001 at 15:25:29:

In Reply to: Why DIR? posted by Jarrod Jablonski on January 07, 2001 at 13:37:28:

JJ: From where I sit, prat of the problem is that in order to be safe, we need to be DIR. Yet, the major expalaination for most of DIR's configurtation is for streamlining. With the diving I do, that is not my major concern. If it where, I wouldn't be carrying a bulky camera. Dir has the knife on the waist,I use a small knife on my shoulder, for it doesn't catch on kelp and is streamlined. While this would seem to fit the philosophy, it's not DIR because DIR say's you can only do it one way. No data to prove which is better, just the opinion of you and George, who set up DIR. I went through a long discussion with Michele Kane about the octapus setup. His final statment on the subject was to agree to disagree. To me, he just ran out of reasons for why it had to be around your neck. Again, I came away with the feeling that the decision was made, and that is that. George and JJ said this is DIR, and so nothing else is acceptable. No proof that your system is safer. And that is the rub. Sure, DIR will work, but how is it neccessary to be safe. Until DIR PROVES it is needed in order to dive safely, it will not make major progress. Too many people go through dive training, never hearing of DIR, spend lots of money on equipment they see others using, including their trusted instructor/s, then you ask them to spend lots more money to go DIR and be safe, without having proved the gear I have now is unsafe.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]