Re: A profound thought from George Irvine about Steve Berman's death

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on May 09, 2001 at 13:17:10:

In Reply to: A profound thought from George Irvine about Steve Berman's death posted by MHK on May 09, 2001 at 11:40:53:

Personally, I think George makes an excellent point (and well-written, too).

But this mindset shouldn't just apply to solo diving. We need to realize that by going deeper (especially, IMO, past 130') we add risk. By staying down longer (especially past no-deco limits) we add risk. By diving solo (no matter where you are), we add risk.

The more risk we add, the less margin of error we have. As Michael said in a previous post, what might be a minor (and solveable) problem at 60' becomes life threatening at 260'.

I think the lesson here is that if you choose to add risk to your diving (already a risky sport given that we're in a life-threatening environment), mitigate those risks as best you can. That may mean buddies, extra gas, safety divers, etc. These are things you need to be thinking about and decisions you must make for yourself.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Dive safely, dive smart.

As the tradegy at Farnsworth, the tragedy at Ginnie, and the dual fatality of the Japanese instructors at 250' (either in Japan or the Phillipines - not sure which) - all within the last few days - so graphically illustrate . . . good divers make bad decisions and bad decisions can kill good divers.

You can't get hurt on a dive you don't make. Use your head.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]