Re: Will the mountain come to Michael?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on July 02, 2001 at 15:43:05:

In Reply to: Re: Will the mountain come to Michael? posted by seahunt on July 02, 2001 at 14:25:39:

Seahunt,

I fully recognize that are views are 180 degrees polar opposite and based upon several of your comments and observations, in all candor, I'm glad to be on the opposing side of your logic. That's not meant to flame you inasmuch as it is designed to define the paramaters.. You've made comments to the effect of * I'll turn on and off the safety switch*, * you [MHK] prefer to swim streamline, I [Seahunt] prefer to be more like a helicopter gyroing across the reef*, * I [Seahunt} don't dive overweighted, I [Seahunt] just dive with more weight than I need* and on and on.. In other words, if I were on your side of the debate I'd should be shot by the very people I dive with week in and week out.. You steadfastly oppose everything I advance. Your continued mis-informed and erroneous assertation that DIR is merely a standardized gear configuration fly's directly in the face of the overwhelming majority of my posts.. DIR is much more about a mind-set than it is about a gear configuration.. To that end I would add, given my DIR mindset, I could dive with yours, or even Chris', gear for purposes of illustration and do a dive with Walker, Kendall, Terry, Colburn, Farine, Highley et. al, and still be a DIR diver.. Why you ask?????, It's simple, because of my mindset and my approach.. But on the other hand, you couldn't get into my rig, turn on your safety switch, and in any way, shape or form join a unified team appraoch... My only thoughts are that you don't fully understand what is going on so reduce the debate to the only thing you perhaps comprehend [ie; gear configuration] and then you take the ball and run.. Over a month ago you promised a *brief* manifesto about your DIR comments, but after repeated levels of patience and requests we still see NOTHING.. Moreover, I note that you responded to some of my comments but wholley ignored my observation that it will be tantamount to reviewing a movie that you've never screened.. How in the world do you propose to offer any meaningful observations from something that you have NEVER, EVER experiecned???

I've read several books, websites and I am signed up for a Mt. Everest expedition several years henceforth.. I've never done ANYTHING near Mt. Everest and for me to offer my opinion about the climbing practices of Everest would be completely inappropriate, completely disingenuous, and most importantly completely uninformed...

My efforts with respect to the sinking of this wreck will move forward whether you oppose me or not.. I didn't lend my name to this project in the hopes it would fail... I didn't spend as much time as I did developing a business plan if I thought it would fail... Will there be hurdles???? Of course.. Will there be sacrafices and/or compromises that I'll need to make???? Of course... But you don't need to sacrafice your core believes just to compromise..

Will I lobby the boats to advance OE certs???? YES!!!!! I'll make the same lobbying efforts that I've done with respect to the Yukon... However, it is important, very important, to note the following:

I was 100% behing the Yukon well before it became fashionable to unite behind the project.. I was the initial contributor that started the 1st to dive project.. I offered to donate $1,000 when the project was a pimple on the butt, Dick said to me if I do that he'll assure me that I'll be the 1st guy on the wreck.. It didn't matter one way or another if I was or wasn't. but the idea was born... You are so out of the loop you should really gain an understanding of the history, the player, the game and what is actually involved before you advance theories..

Also, it was intended that the Yukon would sit properly.. In other words, half of the exits wouldn't be blocked.. In felt, and I've been very candid in my comments to Dick Long, that once the original gameplan changed, they were too slow to respond.. I'll cede that the premature sinking was an unintended problem with which they weren't propoerly prepared to respond.. I've been very open in that my intention is to learn from Dick's mistakes.. I'll advise you, once again, you'll need to look at the bigger picture.. You'd be the first to admit that I'm a BIG pain in the ass.. Some on my team may agree with you { Terry ;-)], but no one that knows me in any context will tell you that once I put my mind and my name to something that I don't do everything I can to make it happen.. I'll sink this damn ship whether you are on board or not....

You speak of some outfit becoming a *trimix* outfit which completely underscores what I'm talking about..

Let me start over so you clearly understand it... I said, [ READ SLOWLY].... IN NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, WILL THIS WRECK SIT IN OVER 100'....... What part of that didn't you understand???? I have NEVER EVER said that you need trimix at 100'....

PLease pay attention to what is going on before you jump into the frey....

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]