Buddy's odd diving illness

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ben Mazin on July 08, 2001 at 22:03:00:

My buddy and I did a dive at Old Marineland on Sunday. About halfway through the dive he got very sick underwater. Nausea, vertigo - he ended up feeding the fish twice underwater. He seemed totally disoriented, and I got him out of the water as fast as possible (towing his 6'4", 250 lbs ass to shore gave me a "Jetboots, don't fail me now" moment). He is a very experienced scuba diver (many hundreds of dives) and very healthy. We were both breathing air from the same place (though perhaps filled at different times) and he was fine for the first 20-30 minutes of the dive. He claims he doesn't get seasick and we were deep enough that there wasn't enough surge speak about. Once we got to shore he slowly recovered, but it was very, very strange. We were guessing food poisoning, but the only thing he'd eaten that day was a bottle of apple juice. Anybody ever see anything like this before? If he was alone and this happened it would have been life threatening - a good argument against solo diving.

Ben

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]