Re: Gail Garcia

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on July 29, 2001 at 10:03:55:

In Reply to: Gail Garcia posted by Ken Kurtis on July 26, 2001 at 23:36:45:

Posted by Ken Kurtis on July 26, 2001 at 23:36:45:

I hope we won't use her death as a pulpit to espouse a partcular view of diving, but that her passing will serve as a reminder that it's not the agency, it's not the gear, it's not the location, but that it's the diver upon whom the ultimate success or failure of a dive rests.

Ken, I'm saddened to hear about her passing, I was hoping that she made it, and you are to be complimented for your efforts in trying to save her..

But I so strongly disagree with your comments above that I couldn't let them go without comment. Accident analysis is a VERY important tool that diver's have, in fact, it is one of the most important tools that we can use. The agency and the gear play a VERY important role in accidents. Certainly the divers role is imperative, but you can't just sweep under the rug sloppy gear congigurations, poorly maintained gear and lousy training.. I know the dive industy wants would-be diver's to appreciate that if they pay for training that they actually get it, but lately, and in the cases that I have personally witnessed and reported upon lately, that isn't the case..

Classes have been shortened, skills have been reduced, instructors are getting certified who are poor diver's themselves and the overall appreciation for training has been relegated to the back seat behind the shareholders of PADI..

Profit is at the forefront, the lawyers and the marketing staff are running the show, and somewhere way down on the food chain is he people that are suppose to know something about diving..

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]