Why, oh why?

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on August 16, 2001 at 21:09:09:

In Reply to: Don't you just love our selective editors????? posted by MHK on August 16, 2001 at 15:38:14:

First off, in answer to your main point, I cannot check every post either. Also I am less inclined to look at long gear posts, which bore me. Still, if you feel maligned, please email me and I will promptly examine the posts you indicate and I am not very forgiving when someone takes offense and brings it to my attention. This goes to everyone. emil me and I will investigate any post that you find offensive to you.
You will also notice that an awful lot of posts that are pretty insulting to me are left up, cuz I am not impressed... Just look a ways down. Of course JW's choice posts must go... something I may one day ask him about, but that's just JW.
Reading some of the posts of this thread, I am forced to offer an opinion about DIR..... Uuuhhh! I have been diving a long time. I know a lot about diving and am very good at analyzing things. I also claim to be honest. As such, I must thumb my nose at those sniveling at DIR. There are some things about DIR I disagree with, some things I have no use for and certainly I have contempt for some of the ways it has been presented, but there is no question that the DIR folks (for whatever reason) have presented some important and novel views to the diving community. Remember, the major manufacturers gave us nice colors and actually some good individual gear, but they did not think things through like the DIR folks did, whether you agree with them or not. They have fostered thinking along lines that were not thought about. The history of deep diving in CA is a deadly one. The DIR folks have promoted far more advanced form of technical diving than anything used before on the west coast.
If you have learned nothing from the DIR folks, you were not paying attention. Really, because of some of the negativity associated with DIR, I would not mind seeing it vanish, but if the diving community loses the ideas they have challenged us with, then it is our loss and our blow it. This happens in politics. Like Barry Goldwater or Jerry Brown (have you seen him lately?). What they said and how they said it may go to the dustbin, but those are the ideas that shape much of modern political thought. DIR is likely to shape the future of diving.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]