Value of c-cards and log books

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on November 19, 2001 at 11:08:59:

In Reply to: Cert. Cards posted by Captain Tim on November 19, 2001 at 09:56:50:

Now and then I buddy up with a stranger and sometimes take a friend or two out diving on my boat. I always worry about this same thing. I always hope they are not going to get hurt and sue me. When I buddy up, I sign a waiver for them and ask them to sign one for me. Some, like Frank F., argue that they do not work, but I assume they can't hurt. But if I take a diver out on my personal boat...

For example this Tuesday a few of us are going out bug hunting. There are either 3 or 4 of us, but another friend wants to come. None of us have dove with him and he is "recently" certified. Before we roll in, I will lead a discussion of dive plans, entry/exit proceedures, etc. It could be construed that as a DM I am "THE DM" for this dive. I am not sure what my insurance does in this case where I am just diving and not really supervising and have no waivers from my non-paying guests.

If we take the newbie, one of us will have to buddy up with him and will not be able to focus on the hunt. In my case, I think it is OK because I like to dive more than I like to hunt. Makign sure that he is up to speed so he can eventually dive on his own with us is a good investment and can bring fun to the dive.

Just my rambling 2 cents worth.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]