Re: 'advanced certs' don't really exist

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason on November 19, 2001 at 15:45:36:

In Reply to: That is the problem with the dive industry.. posted by MHK on November 19, 2001 at 10:57:48:

Mike, the problem with requiring advanced certs for advanced sites is that they don't exist.

AOW, we both agree, means less than nothing.
Same would apply to DM.
Perhaps consensus would go with rescue have value, but it doesn't really validate skills for a given site. And there are quite a few club trained divers who sport original OW certs from the 60s and 70s. Who would I be to tell them they need to get this shingle? Never mind that I've done enough advanced sites to know that classes aren't needed for all divers.

And how is a site determined to be advanced? Is Farnsworth? Not in my mind. It just has potential issues for those who can't maintain depth, or don't have the sense to at least surface if the current takes them away. Basic diving skills. Monastery can be an OW checkout site on the right days - I know from personal experience. The Matterhorn - yeah, now we're talking. But what cert would show competency for this place. You were fine with inviting me along on that trip, knowing I wouldn't do something stupid.

I know GUE certs would be acceptable to you, but I don't think it appropriate to make them the only options, and I don't think you put too much stock in the other tech agencies. Which brings us back to the main point - there aren't consistent certs that usefully indicate advanced skills.

While it sucks to have an accident/death on the boat, that person or buddy pair's recklessness does not endanger others on the boat. Therefore, worry not about it because the solutions are worse than the problem.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]