A suggestion to the safety advocates

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eins on December 06, 2001 at 17:46:51:

I almost wrote 'safety zealots' but I don't want to stir up anything.

Since I am frequenting this message board, there have been religious wars between two armies: the Solo and the Buddy forces. Both have fired rounds and rounds of their reasons and to a degree, both are right.

Now and then pops up a new call to the arms, usually by a safety advocate. While I agree that safe diving practices will safe lives, and I also agree that roughly one casualty a month in CA is one too much, I have a different idea:

Since at this point most arguments have been exchanged, sides have been chosen and the Status Quo has not changed much since, let's concentrate your efforts to save lives in a new field where you can be so much more effective: Instead of saving twelve lives a year, strive to save several thousand. Tell everyone to drive(sic) responsibly. Come up with campaigns on how to educate drivers. There are vast opportunities to spare families with so much agony and loss, it is almost unfathomable. 800 individuals die in car accidents each week! in the USA. Eight hundred. Per week.

But by all means, don't stop to improve diver(sic) safety. Just concentrate your efforts on a field where you can do so much more good.

You all have a happy holiday season. Stay alive, keep breathing, and don't drink and drive.

Best,
Arno

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]