Re: Recreational Fishing Alliance joins suit to stop Channel Island MLPAs

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on December 11, 2002 at 10:58:20:

In Reply to: Recreational Fishing Alliance joins suit to stop Channel Island MLPAs posted by Chris on December 11, 2002 at 09:48:42:

"California has been placed on the front lines in our struggle to preserve our right to fish," said Greenberg.

This is an interesting statement. I just checked my Constitution and I can't find the "Right to Fish" amendment in there. Heck, it's not even part of the USA Patriot Act.

Substitute the word "extract" for "fish" and the phrase doesn't quite have the warm-fuzzy feeling the RFA would like.

The sad thing in all of this, regardless of what "side" of the issue you're on, is that in the entire on-going process, especially with the Channel Islands - which was dealt with as a separate issue in the overall MLPA discussion - all the constituent groups had agreed that they'd work togther for a concensus and then support that in the name of the greater good. Now it seems that those who didn't get "their" way are going to do whatever they can to delay, stall, or obstruct a solution, however imperfect.

There's no question that there will be economic impact. But that's fixable. It's called government subsidies/bailouts to those affected. But if we do nothing, we're looking at species extinction. And THAT'S something no amount of money can fix.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seeker Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA
(Alternate - MLPA working group)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]