PADI dive insurance is a farce

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gregg Materna on October 30, 2004 at 20:16:26:

I was very inattentive to my dive computer today and missed a decompression stop. Trying to be cautious and prepared for the worst I TRIED to call PADI to get some advice on what to do to help my situation, and to find out what to do if I did get bent (after making 12 dives in two days) Guess what....you can't CALL PADI!!! or their supplier Valenica & Buckley. I did call the 800 number I had on my PADI dive insurance card, but all I got was a recording. I did reach the transportation company, but they couldn't give me any advice, nor could they supply me with a number for a chamber that was open or that would return a phone call. Unlike DAN, you have no support if you have an accident, you cannot reach anyone to "help or consult with" about your situation. You have to dig out a chamber or a doctor on your own. My impression and opinion at this juncture is PADI dive insurance is just another way for PADI to make a buck while supplying a substandard product which will not supply real help which you may need in a real emergency. Yes, I was stupid to dive so much, and for not paying attention to my computer, but lobsters do strange things to me..... Forget the PADI hype about better coverage for the same price!!! I can't even get somone on the phone to talk with, let alone get me into a chamber if I had to go to one!! I would love to be able to call DAN at this point, but I got suckered into PADI's marketing hype, and this time it could be a very big mistake.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]