diver.net

agreed -- DAN comes through

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by North Coast Diver on January 13, 2006 at 11:16:04:

In Reply to: Re: DAN insurance vs. Dive Assure. Opinions? posted by Pasley on January 12, 2006 at 21:29:12:

Ken’s story about DAN coming through for his dive trip guest reassures me about DAN.

I have always had group medical coverage, but since even that can be problematic overseas, DAN is a good backup to group coverage especially for overseas trips.

Since I do all my training and testing of new dive computers and new deco programs at home, that gives me both the group coverage and the DAN coverage for higher risk diving, in case there ever were a serious Type-2 DCI problem (such as the many local GUE/DIR divers following GUE/DIR protocols [which are flawed] who end up with Type-2 DCS and then require recompression chamber treatment.)

When I dive overseas, I try to dive conservatively, so that DCI is highly unlikely then.

Conservative diving means (1) using nitrox when available for NDL diving, (2) waiting 1 hour or more between repetitive NDL dives, (3) pre-planning your depths and times and surface intervals so that you can dive repetitively without reducing your available bottom times (this requires computer software however), (4) building up slowly to your MOD deco profiles before undertaking tech diving abroad, (5) waiting 24 hours before flying after any diving, and (6) not relying primarily on your dive computer alone.

If you do all that, then DAN or any other insurance should not become an issue.

But for added assurance, DAN is great. I have had DAN insurance for 7 years, and I have enrolled all my dive students in DAN as well.

With reassuring stories like Ken’s, there is no need to look for another alternative to DAN. DAN is coming through and delivering. Why risk another alternative?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to