diver.net

equipment maintenance

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by suzakico on October 02, 2006 at 08:45:14:

Last year, many of you helped me to get started to the bug hunting business, incl. such subject as how to swat the bug, how to clear the ear, how to free dive for the bug, etc. During the last season, from about 17 dives, I got 20. Also, I got one from one of about six free dives. So, I have to say that I am happy to the point I acquired the basic skills (in spite of my age - if I may add). Thank you to offer me various advices!

While my ears do not hurt much in free dive, I am still a beginner. After buying a wet suit, weight, etc. last November, recently I purchased a set of used BC, tank, reg/octopus, and spear gun at what I thought were reasonable prices. However, there were few problems, including a case when the attachment(junction) to the pressure gauge all of a sudden came off in the water with a big sound of bang! while I was using snorkel to move to the divind spot.

Needless to say, I am well shaken up and need another dose of advices if anybody is willing to offer.

In short, my questions are (try to be inclusive here to avoid any further potential problems):
- May anyone offer examples of accidents (incl. close call cases) that was safety related, and else?
- How do you "actually" maintain the gears (perhaps quick and more extensive ways)before/after the dive? Any words of wisdom?
- Do you overhaul the gears, say yearly? If so, especially which gears, when, and how (incl. how much $ do you spend)?

I realize I should not ask basics as much as I can do my own research on the web for example. But any guidance/pointer is highly appreciated.

Thank you, happy and safe dive to all!

Kio

-

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the