Re: Proper fundamentals mandate that you are horizontal from start to finish

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on July 17, 2001 at 16:40:47:

In Reply to: Proper fundamentals mandate that you are horizontal from start to finish posted by AADIVER on July 17, 2001 at 16:33:57:

Frank,

Welcome back... Where's the trip report????

Now to your questions.. Just so we are clear, mandate was my wording, I'm unaware of any *official* statute.. It was meant to convey the impression that it is important..

Why is it important you ask???

By ascending and descending horizontally you are creating a larger mass and by definition you are *controlling* the rate of ascent and descent.. It's important on the descent so you can control the speed of the descent, so you can survey the surroundings and you can control when to begin the slowing of the descent as you get nearer to the bottom.. It also allows you to view your gauges without breaking trim..

On teh ascent, it is equally important, because once again, you are added to the mass and you are in control of the rate.. What bugs teh hell out of me with regards to the PADI video is that they tell you to ascend in the most streamlinned position, which conversly means you have the least opportunity to slow yourself down.. They go on further to tell you that if you do in fact, loose control of the rate that you should get horizontal and fan out.. So my question is why wait until you are in trouble to get into proper position???? Why not be there in the first place...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]