Re: Nitrox aka EANx

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on August 09, 2001 at 14:44:42:

In Reply to: Nitrox aka EANx posted by CalAbDiver on August 09, 2001 at 13:04:27:

We primarily use 32% as our recreational gas of choice.. As for fading out air, while I'd love to see that happen, it's clear that isn't going to happen anytime soon...

We continually note that DIR is hollistic, and many on this list, view that as a zealous adherence to a stringent gear configuration, but then ignore the reality..

Let me provide you an example of what we mean when we say *hollistic* given the above fact pattern..

By using 32% it is a flexible gas and in that I mean generally when we *plan* a dive to exceed 100' we would use a helium based mix, but let's assume that we are just diving for a fun dive at Farnsworth, we would use 32% and if we happened to see something at 110' or 120' we could take a look.. Further, as I noted in an earlier post 32% provides for a 20% diiferential in EAD's so it makes *computing on the fly* simple... If my dive averaged 100', for example, I'd know 20% of 100' is 20 and that my EAD is then 80'.. Puruant to my earlier post you know that everything adds up to 120, so at 80' I know my NDL is 40 minutes..

That is really just one example of what I mean about the hollistic nature of the DIR philosophy..

Anyway, after you learn about keeping the deco curve moving, deep atops and the curve you are looking to manipulate teh Buhlman algorithm it only takes seconds when you have the foundation down.. That is why we are sometimes reluctant to answer direct questions about * on the fly* issues, because without the requisite understanding we could get someone hurt.. The shortcuts only work when you know the background..

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]