jrm, let it animate you...

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on January 10, 2002 at 19:16:47:

In Reply to: Actually a step in the WRONG direction posted by JRM on January 10, 2002 at 09:01:53:

How do you think we are ever going to take back OUR waters from the commercials/foreign markets? The sportfishing community is the only non-government entity that (could) do it. They literally declared 'war' against the reserves. They are going to have to declare war against the commercials, get political and take concerted action as they are doing with this CONSERVATION issue.

How would you motivate them to do that? The scenario that you described would be an excellent motivator.

Except for one huge problem...

When the sportfishing community declaired "war" against the most effective and comprehensive conservation proposals in the history of OUR waters, they effectively destroyed any future credibility on the issue of fisheries conservation. They squandered their ability to fight the true culprits of OUR depletion by relenting to the commercial sector of the sportfishing industry. They alienated themselves from many environmental concerns that would otherwise have been substantial allies in the good fight to limit commercial fishing.

I would like to specifically condemn United Anglers for their stand on the reserve issue. For years their motto was 'fish for the future'. I consider their "war" to be an utter betrayal of their most basic tennent!

When the sportfishing community came out against the reserves, they effectively bought and paid for this and any future restrictions that come down the pike.

You will get absolutely no sympathy from me on the rockfish closure issue.

BTW, i QUIT sportfishing after 16 years because of their position on the reserves.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]