An actual answer

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on July 08, 2002 at 11:27:20:

In Reply to: How would you set-up the perfect Scuba Class? posted by Remo on July 08, 2002 at 08:16:40:

Since it's all hypothetical, here's what I think would be reasonable (not necessarily perfect), balancing out how much can we offer against what people will realtistically be willing to pay for and do:

How many dives (what kind of dives)? - Four days of diving, 3 per day, 12 various ocean dives total, 3-4 deeper than 50' (maybe even one to 100'), dealing with variuous situations we'd find out here.

How many hours of lecture? - 15-20 hours of classroom time (5-6 lectures) with an added emphasis on "book" knowledge and understanding some of the physcial principles behind diving as well as situational discussions ("What would you do if . . ."). Emphasis on tables and computers, how they work, and what they tell you (or don't). Develop a thinking diver, not just someone who knows what the "right" answers are.

Pool? - 4-5 pool sessions, 3 hours each, general skills, one session in full wetsuit, also include simulated boat dive (entry/exit - which I actually do in my current classes) as well as simulating other in-water drills and skills, including emergency procedures.

Over what period of time? - 2-6 weeks. No quickies or "home study" with this format.

How many students per instructor? - 6 max

(And I'll add . . .) Test? - 100-question multiple-choice final exam geared to local diving (not the standardized NAUI or PADI exam) with 90% correct required to pass.

How much will it cost? - Top of my head, $1000 which would include all four ocean days, rental equipment, and all the fun and knowledge they can handle.

Any takers??????????

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]