diver.net

Spearfishing Lore and Fact

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on September 16, 2005 at 11:55:52:

In Reply to: Attitude? posted by Law abiding spearfisherman on September 16, 2005 at 11:28:35:

I am not a member of the spear fishing community. I do remember being told that many years ago when the GBSB were truesly on the brink of total population wipe out that the spear fishing community became the champion of the GBSB and it is in part due to their efforts that we have some GBSB around to see today.

Today, the spear fishing commnuity does not seem to be as organized, or to have as much internal leadership.

I don't eat fish, but that has nothing to do with my concern about the GBSB. Dividing people into groups who eat fish and who don't eat fish has nothing to do with the GBSB issue. Anyone can walk into a store and buy a spear gun. Anyone can get a fishing permit - no test required. The best that people can hope for is for the spearfishing community to promote their own image and to provide responsible role modeling. When we see nit wits with spear guns not acting responsibily and the only excuse offered "shut up if you eat fish", it doesn't give the world a lot of confidence in the spearfishing community. To make convincing arguements for the sport be a vocal role model on responsible spearfishing and don't focus on who eats fish and who doesn't.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to