diver.net

Actually Elaine, you don't get it

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on July 11, 2006 at 14:11:00:

In Reply to: Mike, you don't get it do you? posted by Elaine on July 11, 2006 at 10:31:53:

Elaine,

I know full well what I'm doing. It was simple. You posted a trip report and are adamant in your view that it was a "no deco dive", so the point I'm trying to bring out is does a dive such as that warrant the risk -v- reward. You think it does, good for you. Others may not understand full well what is at stake so by using real life experiences we are able to show them.

In the instant case, since it was a No-deco dive, you chose to do a dive that is a pinnacle at 125' so from 125' to 130' there is very little to see, if anything. So most divers then are faced with several choices? Do I go deeper then 130', or do I exceed NDL limits since on most tables the NDL at 130' is only about 4 minutes. Since it's a square profile your computer adds little, if any, extra NDL. So I don't think it's bullying anyone to point out that; does it make sense to do a dive that far off shore, on air, using a single AL80', and probably solo, with your primary focus on photography?

I think most that do any kind of risk analysis would say that the dive plan makes little sense, such little available NDL time when juxtaposed against the associated risks. Now certainly if you chose to do that so be it, but don't complain if I point out to others that there are much more sensible ways to approach the same dive.

BTW, if you think the only difference between Shiprock and Osborne is the need to follow an anchor line down, then you've really demonstrated my point.. If you get blown off Ship rock how many other boaters will be around to get you? If you get blown off Osborne, how many other's will be around? Now throw in deco time, as some needed, if there is a current and the line is missed while facing 20 or 30 minutes of deco, good luck finding a boat when you surface.

Later

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.