diver.net

Trip Report and Photos: Sea Divers at Farnsworth Bank, August 12, 2006

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on August 27, 2006 at 20:57:48:

Trip Report and Photos

Farnsworth Bank, August 12, 2006

The Sea Divers on the Pacific Star

Story and Photos © Elaine Jobin, may not be reproduced in part or whole without advanced written permission.

The trip started with an early departure am departure for Farnsworth Bank. The cloud cover in the morning made some interesting sunbeam patterns in the sky and on the water.

Catalina Island Backside, Photo by Elaine Jobin

When we arrived, a small private boat was fishing the "high spot". We anchored a short distance away and made a swim for our desired destination. The vis was good and the water temperature at the surface was in the low 70's.

Farnsworth Bank Underwater, Photo by Elaine Jobin Farnsworth Bank Underwater, Photo by Elaine Jobin Farnsworth Bank Underwater, Photo by Elaine Jobin Farnsworth Bank Underwater, Photo by Elaine Jobin Farnsworth Bank Underwater, Photo by Elaine Jobin Farnsworth Bank Underwater, Photo by Elaine Jobin

After a long surface interval, we went back in for a second Farnsworth dive This time I took my Macro cam to focus on the purple hydrocoral. One of the interesting things that I noticed for the first time were the Pedicularia californica snails that favor living on the Hydrocoral.

Farnsworth Bank California Hydrocoral, Stylaster californicus, Photo by Elaine Jobin Farnsworth Bank Farnsworth Bank California Hydrocoral, Stylaster californicus, with Pedicularia californica, Photo by Elaine Jobin Farnsworth Bank California Hydrocoral, Stylaster californicus, with Pedicularia californica, Photo by Elaine Jobin

On the trip back to the boat, I noticed many of the small Jellyfish that give such an interesting light show.

Farnsworth Bank California Hydrocoral, Stylaster californicus, with Pedicularia californica, Photo by Elaine Jobin

After one of these two dives, we noticed that someone had forgotten something that was kind of important. Hummmmm, what is wrong with this picture?

Farnsworth Bank, Photo by Elaine Jobin Farnsworth Bank, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Our last two dives were Island based and I found some of the usual Catalina Critters.

Spanish Shawl Nudibranch at Catalina Island, Flabellina iodinea, Photo by Elaine Jobin Yellow Zoanthid, Parazoanthus lucificum, at Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin

I also noticed that the Garibaldi nesting activities seemed to be quieting down. I took some photos in a seemingly unattended nest that I found to see if I could spot any remaining eggs when I scanned the photos. I was surprised to see lots of Garibaldi eyes looking back at me when I enlarged the photos.

Garibaldi Nest with eggs about to hatch, Hypsypops rubicundus eggs with visible eyes, Photo by Elaine Jobin

We returned to the dock, tired from a full day. One of the terrific things about the Pacific Star is all of the help that you get from the crew with dive gear schlepping. With the extra time to unwind in the parking lot I noticed some of the modifications that people have made to their dive mobiles.

Divemobile, Photo by Elaine Jobin Divemobile, Photo by Elaine JobinDivemobile, Photo by Elaine Jobin Divemobile, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Once again, it had been another memorable Sea Diver trip. Until Next Time......

Our water bottles from the Pacific Star, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.