diver.net

Criminy

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on June 22, 2009 at 06:08:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Seaweed Rebellion: North Coast Enviros Battle Schwarzenegger and Big Green posted by Chris Knight on June 21, 2009 at 22:42:11:

I've been diving North and South California and everything in between for near 40 years. My degree is in intertidal biology.
I have watched the abalone population carefully.
When people hunt wild crops, whethere abalone, deer, trees or whatever, they exhibit neo-lithic hunting behavior for which
there seems to be no off switch. The Southern abalone fishery was basically uncontrolled. I knew what was going to happen.
After 37 years of diving the North Coast, the last trip was the first time I saw what seemed to be depletion at Van Damme, the
most heavily visited place on the coast.
While I would like dock limits for all species taken, that isn't going to happen. Luckily the current regulations and
the natural difficulties of diving the North Coast seem to be mostly protecting the abalone from severe depletion.
At the same time, I think it is about the local fishers just wanting to do what they want. Somehow though the fishery must
be regulated and preserves are an important part of sustaining fisheries. AS I say, I prefer dock limits.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.