Re: Teachers and Fundamentals

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on June 11, 2001 at 18:00:33:

In Reply to: Teachers and Fundamentals posted by CalDiver on June 11, 2001 at 17:48:35:

Not at all.... I was relaying what they told me after the class.. As I noted these guys were good guys, good attitudes and I was trying to keep it in as positive of light as possible.. I, by no means was stigmatizing anyone..

But at some point, no matter how much one wants to sugar coat something, what I'm suggesting simply isn't a popular notion, it goes directly against the grain of the industry and there isn't really a *kind* way to say something like that...

Let's look for example at what is being taught by PADI and maybe that will explain the point better...

Most, if not all, PADI instructors teach the mask R & R while all the students are sitting in either a circle or all in front of the instructor.. That's by-in-large what is happening. Then they tell the student to take the mask off and then replace it.. Obviously *mastering* this skill is subjective, but for the most part if it gets back on the student passes..

Does you believe that by teaching that skill in a sitting position and while the student is prepared to give it to you is a realisitic scenario????

Now juxtapose that against a GUE class whereby you'll not know when you're mask will be removed inasmuch as it is the instructor that will take it when you least expect it, you'll be required to swim 50' with it off and you'll be required to do so while keeping proper trim and bouyancy..

Which of the two scenario's seems more realisitic????

Everytime I have had my mask kicked off underwater it has always been in low vis, generally when I've been assisting classes but it also has happened once inside a restriction in a silted out cave.. If you can't handle the mask being off you'll panic, which could lead to a fatality..

I'm not picking the guys out that were in the class this week because I'm repeating what they told us in the *rap up* at dinner last evening...

Some post to this list so I hope they offer their thoughts...

Let's try not to be so sensitive and let's try more at looking at why the skills are done...

I could go on, but you get my point...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]