Re: Get It Together

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on September 04, 2001 at 12:07:30:

In Reply to: Get It Together posted by Jim Hoffmann on September 04, 2001 at 11:49:42:

Jim,

As far as I can tell the only dive shop owners that regularly post to this list are you and Ken Kurtis, and other then Ken's illogical Nitrox position, you guys are straight shooters as far as I'm concerned.. While for certain Ken and I disagree on many things, I wouldn't accuse either one of you guys of spreading disinformation and I enjoy and encourage local shop owners to participate on this BBS. You guys are the bodt and soul of the industry and should be supported...

As for the recent incident I'm just recently advised that they were a three man team, and the missing diver indicated that he had some type of regulator problem.. The injured diver proceeded to use his *octo* and they began buudy breathing. The initial problem happened at ~ 120' and they made it to 50' when they began to sink. At 140' the injured diver, I'm told and FTR I have NOT spoken directly to him, recalls inflating is BC and that's the last thing he recalls.. I'm advised that he walked out of the chamber and is expected to recover completely..

I have been pretty tough on the teaching practices of OOA drills recently and this seems to me a prime example of why teaching an OOA drill while on your knees makes no sense whatsoever.. Part of the OOA drill is to get your buddy gas, the other part is understanding how to get a OOA diver [ ie; absent an inflation source] to the surface.. Teaching oral inflation and controlled ascents is equally as important and that can't be done while you are on your knees...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]