Personal gear - cats from every county

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AADIVER on June 24, 2001 at 10:29:41:

Just back from a super trip aboard Truth Aquatics CONCEPTION to the wrecks of the SM1 and the GOSFORD. 32 divers, 32 completely different gear configurations from super simple to multi-hose, multi-gizmo cluster f***ks. (Who, me?!) Only two of us had backplate/wings setups. The other guy had an OMS setup so bungied I doubt it would inflate sufficiently. Skill levels ranged from rock bottom basic to gnarly dudes like meself. Several instructors, all agreed that most basic certifications are through dive shops by instructors loyal to their particular shop and instructed to "push" gear that provides the store with the highest mark-up/profit margins. Yeah, a few exceptions but not many. The concensus of advice is get trained by independent, non-shop affiliated instructors who advise gear based on quality regardless of price. As it is now, once the newbie has spent over a grand for gear and subsequently learns about the gear he/she SHOULD have purchased they're stuck. What to do with the shop junk? eBay? Even bidders there are wising up to quality stuff.
How about this Board posting a list of independent, quality instructors to give folks about to get certified a choice instead of just wandering in to their nearest dive shop? I'll pitch the idea to Donna Miller, administrator of the new dive BBS, sylvertip.com
Any other ideas?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]