free speech does not equal vulgar and impolite speach

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Curt Billings on May 31, 2001 at 17:09:14:

In Reply to: free speech? posted by John Walker on May 31, 2001 at 14:40:03:

John,

There is a difference between trying and achieving. Trying to be polite is not enough.

As is, trying to understand and actually understanding.

Therefore, let me help you understand the situation regarding your posts that were deleted.

I deleted many of your posts because they did not conform the rules of this BBS.

As an editor it is my responsibility to boot abusers of the rules. You all know that, this is not new. The rules to follow are posted on the FAQ. Please note I do not take responsibility for all posts to this board. That is to great a job for the allocation of my spare time. However posts that I find offensive, and I believe are offensive to the audience of this BBS, will be deleted without hesitation.

I have reminded you all of this before. Vulgar language that may be acceptable on another BBS or in some eastern States is not welcome here. Nor is it necessary to communicate effectively in California or this BBS.

Consider the audience. You have the opportunity to communicate with people of all ages.
With respect to the youngest audience, do not simply try to be polite. That minimum standard is not good enough.

Just be polite. That is all there is to it.

Just be polite.

If this is too difficult to abide by then please consider another BBS to subscribe to. FYI, You might want to want to subscribe to the freediver.net digest. A lot can be learned from that digest on how to communicate politely, effectively and with respect towards each other. If I put in the same level of enforcement, as they do with that list, then there would be very few posts left on this BBS and I would not have any spare time. Obviously, I prefer not to go to that level with my involvement, so in the mean time, just be polite.

Editor - CB

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]