So Cal Wreck Diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on July 02, 2001 at 09:20:56:

Just got back from a fantastic wreck trip. We chartered the Mr C for some serious diving on Sunday , July 1. It was a hard core trip, and I was able to get in six dives. I was exhausted at the end of the day, but it was a good exhaustion as we all sat up at the bar at 22nd Street laughing and telling war stories and planning our next wreck trip. ( The St. Croix and the UB-88 submarine were the hot topics. )

I made the following dives:

1. Mystery wreck of 22nd Street Land ( can't say any more. )

2. Johanna Smith aka 14 minute wreck ( LOW LOW VIS but still great, lots to look at and hammer on, one of the most famous local gambling ships )

3. Avalon ( Hull plates everywhere !! Great vis and good hunting Truley a ppiece of maritime history, one th eGreat White Steamers )

4. Newbern ( Class old 1800's wreck, urchins EVERYWHERE, this is one of the older wrecks in southern California )

5 David C Meyer ( Ripping current, I was the only one in. We had lowered a twenty five pound weightblet over the side, and even that was flipping in the current at 25 FSW )

All in all an excellent day. Diving dry, diving nitrox and a AGA full face mask allowed me to get in six fantastic dives.

Captain Ray Arntz and deck hand Frank both did a great job and the BBQ chicken was so good we consumed about 20 pounds in half an hour between sites. Ray is one of the most knowledgable people I know when it come to wrecking.

And for the first time in a month, no strokery, no incidents, accidents or injuries. Lots of different levels of experience and different types of equipment, and everyone did great. Just a great bunch of experienced hard core wreck divers going out and having fun.

Kevin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]