some thoughts on DIR

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tecreational Diver on December 16, 2001 at 19:34:10:

I been listening in on this web site for about a month now and I have to tell you it's real discouraging. Here are some thoughts...Gue only has one problem and it is arrogance. You see the DIR style which they claim to have invented is 95% Cave Diving techniques developed by members of the NSS-CDS and NACD. It is a relevation to most of you guys/gals because you "don't get out much". Instead of arguing back and forth you could get info on this and other "DIR" style diving by surfing the web pages of most cave and tech agencies. Gue deserves credit for trying to bring this style of diving to the mainstream but a spanking for adamently insisting that you have to follow all stylistic methods (i.e. pressure gauge only clipped to left hip D ring) One thing cave divers are always looking for is something better. Even Dave Hogarth Main is still diving and experimenting with different ways of doing things. Basically GUE has alienated itself from a lot of divers (cavers and others)by not only claiming they invented it but by insisting there can be no deviation from "their" style. Personally ANYONE who has taken a basic CAVE class from ANY agency will agree that the principles taught (streamlining, equipment used, gas management, propulsion, etc.) will benefit all divers. Again, These are not exclusively GUE's techniques and DIR was NOT invented by GUE. A good diver can learn from any agency...GUE, NSS-CDS, NACD, ANDI, SSI, NAUI, TDI, PADI, IANTD, YMCA, (sorry if I missed one!), etc. etc. NO ONE KNOWS EVERYTHING AND NO ONE IS OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE LEARNED FROM EXPERIENCE. Just my thoughts...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]