Re: CDN editorial/Ken's response

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on February 05, 2001 at 10:59:03:

In Reply to: Ken Kurtis a question regarding your CDN editorial posted by MHK on February 05, 2001 at 09:16:52:

(Michael Kane wrote) "Please state the name of any of the diver's that you refer to that were diving mixed gas??????????"

Tony Maffatone died on August 2, 2000, on the wreck of the San Diego in New York, while diving mixed gas. I have just re-confirmed all this with George Horn, a friend of Tony's, and owner of a dive shop in Brooklyn.

(Michael continues) "The fact of the matter is that none of the fatalities were from mixed gas diving . . ."

That's not a true statement.

(Michael concludes with) "So in short Ken, please name one of the fatalities that was on mixed gas??????"

Tony Maffatone.

The point of the editiorial is not that this is good or that is bad, but that you can take either end of the diving spectrum, from basic rec to high-tech, and divers are making bad decisions that are killing them. No matter what your level of experience or the sophistication of your gear, common sesnse is a valuable tool to have with you.

I hate to see something as tragic as someone's death or as serious as encouraging divers to use their heads when diving degenerate into a pissing contest so I'm going to try to refrain from further comment in this thread.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]